In a major win for the environment, single-use plastic bags will no longer be available at Woolworths, with Coles following suit on the 30th of July. The two grocery giants made the promise to ban them a year ago, and it is now coming into effect this month. The decision sees over 800 shops across Australia ban plastic bags, a move that Woolworths says will ‘stop 3.2 billion bags from polluting our environment’.
In their place, both Woolworths and Coles will offer reusable bags for as little as 15 cents, with Woolworths offering to replace them for free if they are damaged.
What makes this such a good move for the environment?
Plastic bags can take up to 1000 years to decompose, and usually end up in the environment where they can be ingested by wildlife such as turtles or sea birds. The average Australian uses 170 plastic bags a year, but unfortunately only 3% of plastic bags are recycled.
How can you adjust to this change?
Australian shoppers have used plastic bags for years, so a decision like this is bound to have an impact on you and your family. And like any major change, adjustments to your shopping and daily routine will have to be made. So how can you best adjust to the plastic ban change? Check out the tips below!
- Purchase some reusable bags from Woolies and Coles. At 15c each, they’re basically free!
- Leave some reusable bags in the glovebox or boot of your car so you always have bags on hand.
- Take advantage of Woolworths and Coles’ home delivery services, and have your groceries delivered straight to your door.
- Rubbish can be directly put into bins, which should then be washed occasionally.
- Alternatively, you can wrap rubbish and food scraps in newspaper before placing them into a bin.
- Dispose of your waste properly: recyclables in the recycling bin, food scraps in the compost bin! This will significantly reduce the size of your usual rubbish.
So while the ban may be frustrating for some, finding something else to line your bins or reminding yourself to bring a reusable bag to the shops is a small price to pay to ensure our environment is no longer affected by plastic bags.
If you’re looking for a high-quality, reusable bag for your shopping, H2coco has you covered! We’re giving away a free tote bag, and if you’re interested, keep reading!
Claim Your Free H2coco Tote Bag
H2coco deeply values the impact businesses have on the environment and are 110% on board with the decision to ban plastic bags. To show our support, H2coco is giving away a complimentary tote bag with every purchase made on our online store! Made out of canvas, they’re reusable and they’re perfect for your grocery shopping. Not to mention, they look great too!
So do your part and join H2coco in keeping plastic bags a thing of the past!