Having a hard time getting back on track with your fitness goals after over-indulging on chocolates during the Easter holidays? This Buddha bowl recipe might just be your saviour!
Buddha bowls are big bowls of healthy goodness that are usually plant-based, vegan, and gluten-free – precisely what you need after all that sugar.
This recipe is very simple with very little cooking involved. And it’s ridiculously healthy and very satisfying, packed with different kinds of vegetables, fibre, healthy fats and protein, and coconut water sesame vinaigrette to top it all of.
The best thing about a Buddha bowl is you can build it however you like – just add your preferred chopped vegetables, build a beautiful looking bowl, then drizzle your favourite sauce and you’ve got yourself your own customised bowl. The configurations are endless.
Without further ado, let’s start building a Buddha bowl!
BUDDHA BOWL WITH COCONUT WATER VINAIGRETTE
Prep 30 mins | Serves 2
COCONUT WATER VINAGRAITTE
- ¼ cup H2coco Pure Coconut Water
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well-combined. Feel free to add more sugar, salt or pepper to your desired taste. Set aside.
BUILDING THE BUDDHA BOWL
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced into long strips
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 2 cups chopped purple cabbage
- 2 cups kale and spinach mix
- Rinse quinoa under running cold water in a fine strainer. Tip rinsed quinoa into a pot with 1 ½ cups of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and place lid on pot. Simmer quinoa over low heat for 15 minutes then turn off the heat. Rest the quinoa for 10 minutes and fluff it up with fork.
- Season quinoa with a bit of salt, pepper and lime. Divide the quinoa into 2 bowls. Arrange mixed greens, avocado, corn, carrots, and red cabbage in each bowl. Get creative with the arrangements! Drizzle with coconut water sesame vinaigrette. Top with sesame seeds if you’d like. Serve and enjoy!
For more recipe ideas, check out our Real Taste section here.